Looking west at Broken Top and The Three Sisters in the Oregon Cascades Feb. 2016
“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” - John Ruskin
“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” - John Ruskin
Thursday, January 14, 2010
Shirking a chore - the consequence...
I just came in from chopping firewood. It is a necessary chore and one that I tend to enjoy. I like being outside. It is fun listening to the chickens clucking away on the next acreage - a homey kind of sound. But today I found that my wood splitting skills have fallen a bit due to lack of use. Our weather in December was really cold and I was splitting wood every day. Then came the holidays with travel and when we got back, the weather had moderated. So I haven't needed to split wood nearly as often. (And that naughty Tramp 1 snuck out one night and chopped a wheelbarrow load - he is not supposed to be doing that with his shoulder injury and back issues!) So this afternoon when I went out to chop firewood, I found that my chopping strength had diminished! Wow, talk about use it or lose it! I am going to have to get back out there every day again and build that strength back up. And maybe have a double shot coffee before I head out!! And then maybe a nice toddy when I come back in...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I'm amazed. I never had wood splitting strength to begin with. Hubby and boys do that here. But I do the gardening--and up until this year I was always digging--this year I'm going to almost all containers and some raised beds because my strength has diminished and I just don't think its coming back. :( Really surprised me when I tried to hoist a 50# bag of dog food into my shopping cart a couple weeks ago-- I was literally stuck! Thankfully a man came along and helped me finish. Sigh.. age happens.
Anyhow I wanted to say this--Your sky is so big! I love it! (up top of your blog)
Mary,
Honestly, sometimes hoisting a large bag of dog food out of a grocery cart can be daunting. I remember being at Costco wishing someone would see me and help - but people are pretty much into what they are doing... Glad you like the clouds at the top of the blog - the photo was taken while visiting the little cabin this past fall.
I wish I had half th strength I used to when I was in my 40's. Not that I need it, but it would be nice to have it!
I agree...the picture is beautiful!
H.J.,
Yes, it is tough to have to say there are some things we can't physically do anymore. But I guess it is a fair exchange that we most likely are much wiser now - a little more between the ears, a little less muscle power. Though still an adjustment...
Am so glad you like the photo. The clouds that day were amazing. I need to post the series of photos I took.
Thanks for visiting us.
I used to watch my mom with amazement--she couldn't lift ANYTHING. Sigh. And now I'm there. I always swore I wouldn't get like that. It just happens.......
Though chopping wood doesn't sound like much fun, it keeps you outside (no excuses). We had a warm up yesterday-mid 30's-and I spent the whole day outside....just because! The ski's and snowmobiles haven't gotten much of a workout this year-old man winter just won't drop that snow.
Not only don't I think I have the strength, but I'm a bit afraid of the axe to do chopping myself. Wayne and I team together to split out firewood. I hold the axe and he gives it a whack with a sledge hammer. Probably a cityfolk way of doing it, but heck, that's what we are I guess. Just learning the country ways. We need to split some when we get back to the cabin. We are almost to the bottom of our pile of dry split firewood. About this time of year I always start getting afraid that winter will last longer than the dry wood in the shed. We have plenty of wet stuff, but that won't dry unless we get some dry sunny weather and I don't see that happening any time soon. - Margy
Post a Comment