Looking west at Broken Top and The Three Sisters in the Oregon Cascades Feb. 2016


“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” -
John Ruskin


Sunday, October 18, 2009

Stacking firewood...

On Monday our high was barely up to 30 degrees with a thick sheet of ice coating everything - on Thursday, it was over 70 degrees with the smell of spring in the air. No matter the weather extremes - I am getting ready for winter.

Stacking firewood can be a chore or a pleasure. This year it is a pleasure - last year it must have been a chore as the mound of cords we had delivered is still there unstacked. I decided that this year I would get all the new wood delivered this season stacked away to store for future use as soon as it arrived. Then I will tackle stacking the older wood where we will use it first.

Outdoors is my favorite place to be and stacking wood is fulfilling to me. Not only do I know that we have wood to heat and cook with, it is an endeavor with an end - something that when finished, I can step back and view what I have accomplished. And I get to be outside enjoying the sounds and sights - chickens clucking on the neighboring acres (I want some, too!) and the two jets that flew over on their way to warmer climates - flights to Mesa, Arizona and Las Vegas, Nevada. They fly over twice a week and I like to think about the folks on them headed off to hopefully a vacation in the desert southwest. I even wave at them - who knows, maybe they can see the lady down below and are thinking she looks like she is working hard at a big job and could use a vacation, too!

If you could take a little trip somewhere, where would you like to go?

7 comments:

Sue said...

I agree there are few things better than working outside in the cool crisp air of October. I spent yesterday planting oaks and pounding in fence posts. Too soon we'll be covered in snow (yea-snowmobiling and skiing!!), so I'm spending as much time as possible enjoying the yard!

Mary said...

Hmmm... well it was 30s here last night and I guess I'd like to go to Florida. ;) I'll be there for Christmas this year to see my little Ruby and her folks and my hubby's family. I love the warmth on my squeaky old joints.

Leslie said...

I like reading how others are preparing for winter. I respect the amount of extra work it takes to live in cold climates. I am wimpy when it comes to any temperature extremes. We spent a week in the snow last year and that was enough for me, one or two days of light snow is nice though. A trip to Vegas sounds fun!

Have a great day!

2 Tramps said...

Sue,

Yes, being outside is the best! And right now, I am spending a week at the Oregon coast - it is beautiful!

Mary,

Your trip to Florida with be so wonderful and I am thrilled that you will have more time with dear little Ruby!

Leslie,

Our winters are very cold but we love it. Vegas does sound really fun - we hope to go again soon - way more to see and do there than gambling!

Kathy said...

Sailing from village to village in the Mediterranean.

Coastal BC Stories Books said...

We cut (but didn't split all) our wood and got in the wood shed before the rains started to fall. That helps keep it reasonably dry (it has no side walls) throughout the winter. Even though there is a bit more space in the shed, we can't add any more wood. It floats on the water next to our cabin and right now all of the logs are just under the surface. That's not good for the logs because they become saturated and then sink further. But it's literally a balancing act. Less wood, maybe we run out. More wood, maybe we lose the bottom layers in the water. But burning season has already started so we should be able to lighten the load pretty soon. Next summer when the water is warm(er) we'll add a few more blue barrels for buoyancy. - Margy

p.s. Where would I like to go? Back home to my cabin on the lake. There's no place like home!

2 Tramps said...

Kathy,

Sailing... I can picture you there! Hope you go do it!

Margy,

Yes, there truly is no place like home! But I sure had a nice time at the beach all last week!