
Our most recent pest has been the clever tomato hornworm. It hides itself very well!
These are some of our upside down tomatoes, still suffering from the attack of early blight.

The birds found that the upside down tomatoes were so sweet. They enjoyed many of them!

One particular buck deer seemed to enjoy biting into every tomato he could reach...
We have never had so many problems. But we will be doing it all over again next year and will hope for the bumper crop we had planned for this year!
8 comments:
It has been a bad year for the tomato. The weather has also been an issue. This is the first summer I never had one homegrown tomato. I am disappointed. Let's hope next year is better.
Sorry about your tomatoes......you are not alone. I ended up with just two this year. Ah, next year!
Rae,
We are lucky - at least we do have some tomatoes. I wonder what other crops might have been adversly affected by weather or other issues.
Sue,
I read about your two precious tomatoes. Glad you got to enjoy that one BLT sandwich!
For about a week now I am starting to harvest my tomatoes. Lately, we have had some nice hot weather which helped and for some weird reason pest free. Go figure!
Good luck next year.
Diane,
We are having hot weather, too - it was 90 here today at Tramp's Camp. I need to get out to the garden in the morning and see what I can harvest.
We hope to plant some late season crop this weekend. Maybe some spinach or something else.
I am so glad that you found my blog and that you left me a comment. I look forward to following your blog, I have it enjoyed reading it very much. I must say that your dog Angus must have had a terrific life with you.
I didn't have much luck with some of my tomatoes this year either. The cherry tomatoes did real well but the larger tomatoes all split before they got ripe. I had a couple of those worms (fed them to the chickens) and the squirrels discovered my potted tomatoes. I like how your upside down plants look hanging there. I would like to try that sometime.
I was very interested that you live in the high desert of Oregon. I also live near the high desert (in CA) and am still learning what I can grow and the tricks needed to make them work in this climate.
Leslie,
Thanks for stopping by. We live at the same altitude - 3400 feet - and both have the juniper landscape.
Yes, old Angus had a good life and we enjoyed him so much. I wish he was still here but I know that we were just so lucky to have him...
I had a great batch of tomatoes this yeawr. I planted one Roma and two cherry tomatoes and it was more than enough for the two of us. I even did a bit of canning for the first time. Fortunately I've never seen a tomato worm and the birds didn't bother them either. I had all of them in pots this year instead of taking up so much room in the floating garden. - Margy
Post a Comment