Looking west at Broken Top and The Three Sisters in the Oregon Cascades Feb. 2016


“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” -
John Ruskin


Sunday, December 21, 2008

Please Remember to Share...... Your Smile!!

On Friday I made a dash into town to run some holiday errands that involved things for a gift that has to be mailed. It was snowing hard and the wind was howling. I almost turned back after the first mile. But I really felt this was my best chance to stay caught up or at least not be so far behind. I had eight stops to make - that is a lot of in and out of the rig in bad weather! But I have not been out much as I can't drive a lot due to a shoulder injury - my rig is a five speed! So I was looking forward to being out and I have always enjoyed the challenge of weather. It was really slick out and I had to maneuver very carefully. As I went about my shopping, I naturally found myself smiling as I slogged in and out of the various stores on my list. I like to smile! And at this very hectic time for folks when the holidays are full of personal emotion, the economy is quaking and we are all trying to be brave, a smile can be such a gift. I smiled at a woman walking down the street (being blown down the street is more like it!), frowning, with her small children in tow and carrying a large houseplant as I drove by. She looked tired and cold. But she saw me smile and she beamed back at me! I knew that I had made a difference in her day. And maybe, just maybe she went on to share a smile with someone else.... Later I smiled at another driver that was slowly going by in the opposite direction and yes, out came another smile! Now maybe, some of these folks are just laughing at me - a middle aged nut driving around in a little snow colored Suzuki Sidekick.... But I think they are responding to my smile - nothing great - no perfect teeth in dazzling bleached white - but perhaps an imperfect smile that shines as coming from my heart. The smile thing went on for my entire trip to town and I know that I gave some people some happiness or at least got them feeling a bit better and I certainly benefited as well. They say the every time your mouth turns up into the shape of a smile, your body releases endorphins - those feel good chemicals that we all need, especially at this time of year. While you are out and about finishing up your lists for the holiday, please remember that your smile (it's free!) might lighten the heart of someone you don't know.... So don't be shy - take a little time to share it!!

2 comments:

Coastal BC Stories Books said...

A big smile back at you. Happy holidays! - Margy

Mary said...

Loved your post! I was thinking every time I help someone at work, the interaction ends in smiles. Invaluable little thing!