Looking west at Broken Top and The Three Sisters in the Oregon Cascades Feb. 2016


“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” -
John Ruskin


Friday, October 24, 2008

A Frosty October Morning

I was up well before daylight even thought about appearing here. Our gas stove was warming up the living room while Tramp 1 went out to wake the old dog and go for their pre-dawn walk. The aroma of fresh coffee in our french press was thought provoking and helped to lift the veil of sleep still lingering in my foggy mind.

And speaking of fog, what a beautiful sight when daylight came creeping in. The entire valley below was shrouded in white fluff. It looked like a heavy snowfall had buried all the farms and homes. Just the mountain peaks and rock outcroppings were visible above the dense fog. Where does all the moisture come from here in the high desert? We also had a very heavy frost and I was relieved to see that the ever dependable Tramp 1 had covered my beloved star jasmine that has been with us for probably 15 years and two homes! We move it into the shop in the winter along with other tender favorites.

Peter rabbit was the first diner I saw at the deer feeder this morning. He was nibbling on stale nuts that I had tossed out yesterday from my garage cleaning spree (still unfinished!). Something spooked him and he took off, running straight and speedily, quite unlike the jack rabbits that run willy nilly with their comical hop at the rear. One of the jacks was the next visitor when I happened to glance outside again. He seemed very happy finding the nuts, as well.

Time to get organized for the day. Today is a town day and I need to write a good list. When you live out in the country, you make certain that you know what you need to do when you drive all the way into town. I was doing this before the cost of fuel got so high, so I have not had to change my ways all that much. It is not so much the expense involved, but the time it takes - time that a second trip due to not being prepared robs from other activities we could be enjoying instead of driving to town again. And I always take an ice chest with me - just in case there are some bargains to take advantage of. The ice chest thing started in the summertime because we could never buy popsicles or ice cream to bring home without it. (Now we don't buy ice cream because we will eat - not because it will melt!) I am thankful that we have the fuel to go to town right now and that we have the money to pay for it. A small thing or a large thing depending on how you look at it....

1 comment:

Mary said...

Your post actually made me miss living in FARGO!! I remember living there and sitting quietly looking out the window at the big giant jack rabbits that would come and eat on my little patio. :) There's nothing like learning to know the environment where you live! No matter where you go--God has supplied something to admire. ;) Great Post!