We came home after a trip to find that the gate to the garden was either left open or had blown open. Some deer had a very tasty meal of potato vines, green beans, tomatoes, zucchini and flowers, too. Really sad as it is too late to start things over again. We just have to live with it.
This doe was resting yesterday in the back yard, enjoying the coolness that grass and shade can lend to a hot smoke filled day. She looks like she might have had a fawn/fawns and has lost them. She has been hanging around here all week in various locations.
Then last night the truth came out about her - Tramp 1 found her in the garden. The gates were closed and he could see where she had jumped the fence. It was an area where he had not put the deer netting back after adjusting the cattle panels. When she saw him, she got very nervous and flung herself back up and over the fence. After checking on what she ate this time, Tramp 1 got busy fixing the fence and reinforcing any areas that looked vulnerable. Will see if she stays on her own side now!

3 comments:
At least I don't have to contend with deer in my floating garden. I've had a better gardening year. Knock on wood, no woodrats, at least not yet. No mice since last winter when they ate my carrots and beets from underground. No aphids, a first in many years. And no powdery mildew on my zucchini and cucumbers. I don't know why all the positive changes, definitely not of my doing. - Margy
I've had deer nibble on my tomato plants too! But never as much damage as you got. They have wiped out bed of beets and almost eaten away sweet potatoes. I hope your netting how keeps them on the other side!
What a shame to lose all your hard work! Hopefully you'll get to enjoy that one tomato. I hope you win the battle of man vs. beast! I hope she has her fawns stashed somewhere safe. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)
Post a Comment