Looking west at Broken Top and The Three Sisters in the Oregon Cascades Feb. 2016
“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” - John Ruskin
“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” - John Ruskin
Thursday, July 28, 2016
Was it this one???
This buck sporting velvet on his antlers came to visit right before dusk. He was munching on some greenery when I looked out and saw him. He has a very a-typical rack of antlers with one side having some oddly branched tines, most likely from a prior injury. Can't help but wonder if maybe he was the culprit that got into the garden.
Since we added a perimeter fence so Chukar dog has more room to roam freely, I haven't seen the deer coming in as often. But very early this morning I was walking from the shop back to the house and I glanced to my left and saw three big bucks ghosting through the juniper trees. They were walking single file, taking time to stop and listen/look around as they kept heading up towards the buttes. Most likely they had spent the night down in the farm fields below and were making their way back to some obscure location to spend the day resting in the shade of an old juniper tree. Cool places are hard to find with our temperatures being in the 90's this week.
Time to get the trail cameras back out and set them up so I can see what critters are visiting. I have been surprised a few times by how active animals are at night. And seeing a raccoon captured on a picture was quite a shock. Didn't think we had them here but our pond must have attracted him. There is always something out there to look at, if you are watching!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
No deer up our way, at least at the cabin below the bluffs. But got my critter cam out last night and caught our first woodrat of the season helping herself to my garden trimmings in the compost pails waiting to go up the hill to the pile. Time to get the trap out again and take the first of many (I'm sure) on a boat ride to Goat Island. - Margy
What a beauty he is. Our deer here are quite scrawny compared to the corn fed ones we had in Illinois. No matter--they are all so destructive. I've had a heck of a time this year. Sorry your garden was on the menu. Hope it gets better, now that the Chuckster has more roaming room.
Beautiful picture you captured! Our deer population has been way up for the last couple/few years and I think we've seen evidence of nature controlling its own as we saw not a single doe that looked pregnant this spring. And I've seen only one doe with a fawn this whole summer season. Maybe the deer have more sense than we humans?
I can't even imagine having deer on my property! What a blessing!!!
Post a Comment