Looking west at Broken Top and The Three Sisters in the Oregon Cascades Feb. 2016


“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” -
John Ruskin


Tuesday, July 28, 2015

The dreaded hornworm....


Around here it is prime tomato hornworm season.  Every morning I go out to inspect the tomato plants and try to find the hornworms when they are just itty bitty fellows.  I do it again after dark with a flashlight. 

Hunting for hornworms should be getting a lot more interesting tomorrow night.  I ordered a black light flashlight that is supposed to make them really show up at night.  Folks use this flashlight in Arizona to see scorpions in their homes and other locations.  I think we will have a lot of fun with this thing!

 
This is a moonflower plant.  I have several of them over five feet tall.  So prolific and easy to grow, too.
 

 
And I thought they were pest free until this year when I found hornworms on them.  Even though they are a poisonous plant, a member of the nightshade family, the tomato hornworm seems to do fine munching away to rapid growth and on to the next stage of life.  And I don't mind if they eat this plant as it grows faster than they could destroy it.  I did note that the hornworms on the moonflower seem to be a paler color than when they dine on tomato plants.
 


This little chickadee and some friends flew in to visit while I was working in the flower bed.  They really checked out the moonflower, flitting around underneath the branches.  I think they were searching for the early stage hornworms that are small and probably very tasty to them.  I sure do hope they come back every day!!

What about you - do you have any hornworm horror stories from your garden?



2 comments:

Anke said...

A few years ago I had several devil's trumpets in the garden and the hornworms
decimated one before I knew what was happening. Didn't seem to bother them one bit...

Sue said...

Such a shame---you really have to be diligent in searching for them. I have a hard time seeing them. Hubby is better at it than I.
Good luck!