We traveled over the holiday to visit family in Washington both east and west. The roads were good - we really do need snow out west!!
Time flew by and Christmas is already a distant blur - just like these lighted trucks from a beverage company that drove around a different neighborhood each night. It wasn't just the lights we enjoyed but also the music they played and plenty of horn honking!
Of course, there was good food! Tramp 1 successfully smoke a prime rib roast in a kettle grill. While he made it work, he said he really missed his UDS - ugly drum smoker. But some years there just isn't room to haul a 55 gallon barrel along with us!
This is our 2013 Holiday poem - written by me - from my heart - and all true!!!
When I was a very small child,
Santa was so real to me,
A magical man who flew in a sleigh,
Leaving gifts under the Christmas tree.
Looking back as far as I possibly can,
I don’t even remember when,
Somehow I found out it wasn’t true,
My Santa had never been…
But I loved the magic of Christmas,
The sparkling lights and such,
It was never about the gifts,
Just the snow, the ritual and rush.
Now that I am older,
I dream of Christmas’s past,
My heart remembers loving times,
I hope will forever last.
Creating holiday spirit this year,
Was a challenge extraordinaire,
Climbing up into the attic I went,
To see what was waiting there.
To my surprise it wasn’t bad,
Things were neatly stowed away,
Then I smacked my head on a 2 X 8,
And so began my day…
Up and down the ladder I climbed,
Balancing every bag and box,
Until I forgot to duck my head,
Wow, a light bulb sure can pop!!
I hit my head on the light bulb,
Just as I was standing up,
There were shards of glass flying everywhere,
As to my knees I dropped.
Thank goodness I had on a hooded coat,
To protect against the cold,
It shielded my scalp from the splintered glass,
Maybe I’m getting too old???
So then and there I crawled down the ladder,
And haven’t been back up since,
I need to get up there to clean up the glass,
But the thought of it makes me wince.
So no Christmas tree sparkles here this year,
Only a few outdoor lights are strung,
Just for this once we will have to make do,
With memories of past Christmas fun.
We will drink our hot toddies,
And think of you, each and every one.
We wish you Happy Holidays.
And a New Year that can’t be outdone!!!.
6 comments:
Great poem! :-) Wishing you and yours a very happy new year!!
what a great poem!!!!! loved it!!!!!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Julie
Happy New Year!!
Happy New Year my dear Friend! :) Say hi to chucky & Tramp 2. :)
This was a different kind of Christmas without Mom. We spent it in Bellingham with our friend Jeanne and did put up a few lights and Mom's small tree. I loved your poem. And the prime rib looked great. I bet it cost a whole lot less than our prime rib dinner and Palm Springs, and tasted even better. - Margy
Very nice. You are a poet...did you know it?
Post a Comment