Oh, the joy of modern technology. We are high up at Elk camp in the Blue mountains of eastern Oregon. And here we are, both typing away on our lap tops, linked up with Verizon. Such a treat! We have never done this before. I used to pack the lap top up to the top of the highest point to see if we could get service with Sprint but we never could. Verizon has much better coverage!!
This is our camp, under a huge Ponderosa pine tree. The wind has been howling in that tree for the last two days and we had a day of rain before the wind started. We have seen elk every day but you have to be very close to get the right shot with a bow in this wind. Good thing we simply enjoy being here!
Yesterday we were out hiking to check a trail camera. We sat down on a log to rest and saw these turkeys come across the meadow. First time we have ever seen them here but we have always felt this was good habitat for them.
We usually stay in the cabin down by the meadow. But this year we left it closed up and are camping a half mile away up on a rocky flat. We want to leave the meadow and the cabin area for the elk. When we do stay there, they know we are there and seem to avoid the area.
Another plus about staying where we are - we have the camper with hot and cold running water, heat and a refrigerator! Yes, we do miss the ambiance of the cabin but we don't miss the mice and the pack rats that scurry about at night. Those pack rats are loud and they are also very hard to trap. We have traps set for them right now and I sure do hope we get a few of them. They can be very destructive if they get inside the cabin. So far, that has never happened. But they are underneath and in the back shed. When they get a big nest built, it can really get stinky...
Today we are cleaning house - we have company coming. A friend in the area is driving up tonight to visit. We will tell stories, swap lies and have some good laughs. Isn't that what elk camp is about?!!
8 comments:
Sounds like fun!
The cabin looks charming....but I'm not so sure about packrats. We're not familiar with them here...just regular mice.
Have a great time
Thanks for the tour and sharing real-time! Glad Verizon is working for us all, as it is a truly lovely spot.
This sounds like such a blast!!! I really hope to do this one day. Just me and hubby! I can only imagine the stillness of it all. So glad you have your Verizon! Makes a world of difference, literally!
Sigh, so pretty and so peaceful! Enjoy your time!
Oh, this sounds wonderful! Thanks for giving a glimpse with your virtual snapshot. Good luck getting an elk. :)
Sounds like a lot of fun. The last time I went hunting I was disappointed to get a signal in my stand. I didn't feel I had gotten far enough away from civilization.
Good luck hunting. I sure know about those packrats. They have been chewing up the plants in pots on the deck and storing food for winter in our shed on shore. And you are right, they sure have a distinctive smell. We try trapping and relocating them, but once one is gone, another moves into the territory. After a while we just live and let live. - Margy
The key to traping a rat. Put the trap inside a 3' length of 6 or 8"stove pipe next to a wall or base of something they might travel past. Caught one just last week over here 5 mi east of Bend.
Post a Comment