Looking west at Broken Top and The Three Sisters in the Oregon Cascades Feb. 2016


“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” -
John Ruskin


Tuesday, February 21, 2012

A Favorite Bird - The American Robin

Robins silhouetted again the winter sky.
Aren't they supposed to be the harbingers of spring??

Hard to see in this picture - at least nine robins enjoying our pond.
Sometimes there are more than 20 at a time.

Juniper berries - why the robins are here in great numbers.

They eat these blue beauties in mass quantities.

And then they do this - yep - they poop everywhere and anywhere.
Everything has been splatted here for months.
Our deck is most likely stained permanently from the resins in the seeds.
The pond is filled with sticky scum -we have had to drain it once already.
Some of our goldfish have died - probably due to the mass pooping.

The only way a juniper berry/seed can germinate is to go through the digestive tract of a critter. Looks like we will be having a real bounty of juniper seedlings in the next year...

Now, dear Robin Redbreast - hit the road, please!!!

And don't come back until spring - check the calendar...

7 comments:

Sue said...

You have the MOST gorgeous views. Such a shame about the droppings. I can only imagine the clean-up you'll be doing once it warms up.

Linda said...

I do love birds but all that pooping makes me have to work at it sometimes. I also learned something. I had no idea Robbins loves juniper berries. I agree they are a little early.

Coastal BC Stories Books said...

Send a few down my way. I love the sound of a robin in the morning. I think I heard one a week or so ago, but have been gone up to the cabin. No sign of even one up there. - Margy

ain't for city gals said...

I know the feeling! but our problem child is bats...during the summer. They are good for bugs and mosquitoes..but oh the mess !

Rita said...

Our robins have not arrived yet; they are always our first sign of spring; getting anxious.
Rita

Clint Baker said...

I am so glad you stopped by and followed my blog! My wife just got back last week from Mt. Hood, her brother and new wife were married in one of the huts. Please stop by again anytime!

Unknown said...

WOW! We are so happy to be your newest follower! Noticed your comment on another blog and it's kindness made us think you'd be someone with whom we could support! We were right. We love your blog, the beautiful pictures, philosophy for life, and of course, the great focus on your puppy! Looking forward to visiting often to be more inspired! We think you'd love See Beautiful too!

Happy seeing beautiful!

http://seeabeautifulworld.blogspot.com/