Looking west at Broken Top and The Three Sisters in the Oregon Cascades Feb. 2016


“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” -
John Ruskin


Sunday, December 6, 2009

Hit by an Arctic blast

It was snowing this morning when daylight broke. It is fine powdery snow - the kind you get with bitter cold. And bitter cold it is here. Tonight we are supposed to hover around 4 degrees and tomorrow the high might reach 13 degrees. Tomorrow night will be a bone chiller - expected to be close to zero. You add in the wind chill when you are outside doing chores and it is positively numbing.

But we are staying pretty warm. The pellet stove we installed in early spring is keeping the shop warmed up. The house has an electric heat pump, free standing gas stove and antique wood cook stove, so we are really covered whatever the weather may be. I do have to chop wood every day - but it is a chore that I enjoy.

Before the Arctic blast hit, we watered and mulched the grapes, berries, etc. There were a few special plants that had to be brought into the garage for winter - plants like our Star Jasmine, Mondo grass, Rosemary and Fuchsias. A lot of work to bring them in, but they are a source of gardening joy most of the year.

Hope all of you are staying toasty and warm!

5 comments:

Sue said...

Guess winter really is here to stay. Sounds like you're all set to go. Stay warm!
:)

Rae said...

I bet you will be glad to have that many ways to stay warm if you ever lose power. We are totally dependent on electricity. I often wish we had a wood stove as a backup heat source.

HermitJim said...

Sounds like a good place to sit in a rocker in front of the wood burning stove...with my stocking feet close to the fire!

Man...all I need now is some hot chocolate and a dog at my side!

Leslie said...

Brrr! That's cold. It sounds like you are ready for what the winter may bring you. When I go outside and it is in the 40's I can barely stand it.

Mary said...

brrrrrr.... I'm shivering in the 30s here in SC. Seems like an early winter to me, but I guess it is December isn't it?