Looking west at Broken Top and The Three Sisters in the Oregon Cascades Feb. 2016
“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” - John Ruskin
“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” - John Ruskin
Sunday, July 26, 2009
Is it really a bargain??
Last night I was shopping at a Grocery Outlet store. I have loved these stores for years - before they really became popular with the mainstream shoppers. Now they have pumped up their image with across the board branding of their name and logo (they are franchised stores) and even have commercials on television. And it is getting more difficult to find the true bargains that we used to find there. But I sure wandered through and gave it a try. I was tired to start with, didn't have my reading glasses and felt the need to read the labels, not just look at the prices. There was a great deal on some Banquet Chicken Tenders - buffalo style, extra hot - but as I read the label I thought do we really want to eat something so processed and basically unhealthy but probably really tasty.... Even the cold cereal isle had me stumped - I really just wanted something we could snack on dry when cravings hit - but came home with nothing. The really healthy Kashi mini shredded wheat type was pumped full of calories but had loads of fiber. The puffed wheat cereal that I thought would be good had no fiber! How do they take the fiber out of puffed wheat?? In the end, I did find a few things and worst of all, after all the careful reading - I came home with six pounds of bacon! When we eat bacon, which isn't often, we really enjoy Daily's Hardwood Smoked Bacon and they had it in three pound packages. I couldn't decide between two packages - which one looked the meatiest - so I came home with both of them! Probably no fiber, mostly all fat but oh so yummy.... You can do a lot with bacon.... Breakfast, lunch or dinner.... And we have been wanting to cook up the Bacon Explosion for a long time now so we will at least have the bacon portion of the ingredients on hand. We sure are going to BBQ something today - the weather here is hot with more hot on the way. Guess I will head out to the garden while it is still a little cool this morning and see what needs picking.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Ah, bacon-my downfall. I'm 99% vegetarian. The other 1%-bacon. I cannot give it up!
There is a restaurant in downstate Michigan that serves ONE POUND of bacon BLT'S-I've never had it, but it sounds like heaven to me!
AAAwww man...bacon! Now my mouth is watering and I'm drooling a lot!
I could handle one of those BLT's with a pound of bacon on it! My kind of sandwich...
Getting harder and harder to find anything worth buying in the store anymoe, for sure!
I read the recipe and that is a lot of bacon and sausage. I'm not sure how much of it I could eat though - sounds really rich! We've been barbecuing all summer up at the cabin. I just love it. I haven't been to a discount food store like the one you described. I'll keep on the lookout for one. We just watch the bargains at our local shops. - Margy
Post a Comment