Looking west at Broken Top and The Three Sisters in the Oregon Cascades Feb. 2016


“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” -
John Ruskin


Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Dreaming of gardening, watching it snow....

When the groundhog saw his shadow and they said we would have six more weeks of winter, I was thrilled. I love the snow and how it hides away the pressures of outdoor projects. But with the arrival of seed catalogs and so many folks writing about starting their plantings indoors, I am jealous! It will be a long while before we can plant anything outside here at Tramp's Camp. It is said that we can get a killing frost any day of the year, too. So we learn to be wary. And we either learn to wait or learn about loss due to weather. It is all a gamble anyway. Weather or critters - you just don't know what will take a portion of your crop away! We can plan for the weather with floating frost covers for some things but we also have to plan for Peter Cottontail, too. He is alive and doing well - the other day we saw him bounding through the snow, making a beeline for the deer feeder to join the jack rabbits that like to feed there. We are glad he is alive, we enjoy him - but this year he will not be eating so well as we are going to be working on ways to outsmart him. And we will also do some special planting just for him now that we know some of his favorite treats...

To find out when to plant in your area safely - and I say that with much reservation - check out http://www.almanac.com/garden/plantingtable/index.php for a "when to plant" guide specific to your area. And start dreaming.....

1 comment:

Coastal BC Stories Books said...

Thanks so much for the link. I was even able to get it personalized for Powell River, BC. That amazed me. Because I need to be here in Washington to help my mom a bit I will probably be a little late starting my garden. But based on the dates I will still be close to the optimal window. I am really worried about the lack of rain this winter. Powell Lake is already extremely low. I am afraid to see what it will be like when summer is in full swing. - Margy