When the weather turned cooler in September, we had to move our pots of basil inside. In October I was still putting it outside on the warmer days and bringing it in at night. Now we have been hitting some pretty low temperatures - it was 15 degrees yesterday morning. And even though our precious basil plants are inside, they are starting to wane. We have four pots of basil and they are in our entry area which is tiled and gets nice morning sun. I put a grow light (spot light shaped) on the floor to shine up at them, too. Never have they flourished this long before. But the time has come for the final harvest... So I will be cutting them back and making pesto to freeze for later. When the snow flies, it will be so tasty on bruschetta while sitting by the fire with a glass of wine.
Looking west at Broken Top and The Three Sisters in the Oregon Cascades Feb. 2016
“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” - John Ruskin
“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” - John Ruskin
Tuesday, November 25, 2008
Fresh Basil in November!
When the weather turned cooler in September, we had to move our pots of basil inside. In October I was still putting it outside on the warmer days and bringing it in at night. Now we have been hitting some pretty low temperatures - it was 15 degrees yesterday morning. And even though our precious basil plants are inside, they are starting to wane. We have four pots of basil and they are in our entry area which is tiled and gets nice morning sun. I put a grow light (spot light shaped) on the floor to shine up at them, too. Never have they flourished this long before. But the time has come for the final harvest... So I will be cutting them back and making pesto to freeze for later. When the snow flies, it will be so tasty on bruschetta while sitting by the fire with a glass of wine.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I am in the process of putting my floating garden to bed for the winter. My herbs are planted in the ground so they have to take their chances with the weather. I have been amazed that my sage, thyme, rosemary, mint, parsley and even my basil (a hearty small leaved variety) have made it through each winter. A little trimming and they have always come back in the spring. But we have a milder climate on the coast so that is probably why. It's nice to be able to go out and clip a few fresh ones to add to my soups. -- Margy
Post a Comment